nsftools blog | comments

[1] Mac Guidera @ 06:25AM | 2005-08-05

You're dead right.
SharePoint crept into our environment seemingly overnight. Now everyone's got one and those that don't, want one. "It's cool. You can post docs for everyone to work on and stay in sync."

Makes me want to gag.

[2] Josef @ 03:12PM | 2005-08-05

Well,

I think it's time IBM finally put such basic apps for notes on their portal for free. And yes, I know OpenNTF, but that is not the same.

[3] Edwin @ 04:38PM | 2005-08-05

Maybe its time for IBM to listen to feedback from its clients and BPs. People have asked for these things for a while to no avail...., not to mention basic things like more serious marketing or linking up with book publishers to get literature on Domino to the IT Professionals ( I will bet you there are 10 times more books out there on Sharepoint/InfoPath than there are on Domino), yes we have a lot of boring to read Redbooks, which just re-package Notes Help most of the time.

[4] Chris Whisonant @ 06:21PM | 2005-08-05

I know it's been mentioned, but there are GREAT applications at OpenNTF. It's not IBM, but the "free applications" are available. Hey, they may even be more customizable than the MS apps.

Nonetheless, you have a great point here. Appears that Redmond is finally working on some true collaboration utilities! Although Notes has had Room Reservations for years and will be seeing a major overhaul in ND7.

[5] Tom @ 02:15AM | 2005-08-06

I can tell you from personal experience. MS came in here and gave a very nice "demo" of the features of Sharepoint integrated with Live Communications Server. They had one of their business partners give the demo. (one cool thing was he tipped his hat to Sametime a couple of times) He gave a good "demo" (I put that in quotes because the stuff they were using was still in beta) and then MS offered to host a pilot for nothing on hardware they pay for shipped here preconfigured to our specs with an MS guy on site to handle any contingencies.

Um, ok we'll do a pilot and we don't have to do any work to get it going? Sure, bring it on.

MS will beat your ass with a broken stick and a smile. They DON'T NEED A BETTER PRODUCT TO COMPETE.

Where is Sametime in all this? ROFL- I haven't seen anyone from IBM on this floor (distributed computing) in a LOOONNNG time. Pretty much since they did away with Lotus reps. Distributed is penny crap- the Big Iron (mainframe mid-range) is where the money is.

[6] Ed Maloney @ 07:47PM | 2005-08-08

Ditto - IBM needs to provide similar templates ASAP.
Yes, OpenNTF has some great stuff, but it doesn't have the same appeal to end users. I'm afraid that IBM really just doesn't "get it" when it comes to SMB and department level accounts if they think that this isn't a major threat to Notes/Domino.

[7] skip brandon @ 08:19PM | 2005-08-08

Did you send this to Ed Brill for his comments.

[8] Richard Echeandia @ 08:26PM | 2005-08-09

Skip,

I understand your comment but I think we're kind of missing the big picture here... Ed Brill is a great guy and he works his butt off on stuff like this.

But he's just one person.

How can the one person at Lotus that still gives a damn battle this kind of competition? If IBM wants to win long term are they willing to lend hardware to people, give customers free consulting (I know.. camel's nose under the tent) and bring back the Nifty Fifty applications?

Ask yourself if you really think that's going to happen. When I've heard this asked of IBM (many times) in the past the answer is always something along the lines of "We need to make money, we can't give this stuff away, I'm only a and I can't make that happen..." yadda yadda yadda.

I personally don't think its going to happen - at the end of the day this Microsoft strategy will eventually win.

[9] ART @ 06:06AM | 2005-08-11

So is Sharepoint suitable for building the small-scale shared apps that can be done so easily in Notes?

And if one were to go to the forces of darkness, how much effort would it be to shift your existing apps?

[10] Paul Robichaux @ 10:20PM | 2005-08-11

A minor correction: Windows SharePoint Services is free to Windows Server 2003 customers, period. MS isn't "essentially" giving it away; they're *literally* giving it away: free as in beer.

SharePoint Portal Server is probably a more direct competitor to WebSphere Portal, and (AFAIK) MS isn't giving *that* away yet (although it's hugely less expensive than WebSphere, not that that's saying that much).

[11] Julian Robichaux @ 01:42AM | 2005-08-12

Paul -

If you end up following this comment thread: any idea what the CAL requirements are for Sharepoint Services + IIS + Windows 2003?

- Julian

[12] Paul Robichaux @ 02:45PM | 2005-08-12

For the Standard, Enterprise, or Datacenter editions of Windows, one CAL does it all. See

[13] Julian Robichaux @ 04:24PM | 2005-08-12

Thanks Paul. That wasn't supposed to be a trick question, by the way. I just know that a few months ago I wanted to deploy an IIS application internally on Windows 2003, and was advised by my server admin that it would be a lot cheaper to deploy on Windows 2000, due to the way the licensing was set up for 2003.

- Julian

[14] Paul Robichaux @ 07:53PM | 2005-08-12

IMHO one of the best things Microsoft could do, both for themselves and the community at large, would be to simplify and clarify their licensing model. There's so much misinformation out there about which licenses are required and for what that most of the MVPs I know have a stock response to any licensing question: "go ask your MS rep". It doesn't have to be that way.

And don't even get me started on Workplace licensing